Sunday, October 26, 2008

This AIN'T my Texas!!!

So last weekend I drove from San Antonio to Portland, Texas to surprise my mom for her 60th bay. It was a beautiful Sunday morning: sunny, warm, breezy, clear as a mutha-f-ing bell. Just perfect. Made me really homesick for the beautiful Texas hill country and coastal bend....until....I came upon this van about an hour south of San Antonio. Thank goodness I had the camera right next to me.


(it reads: Christians agains Hussain Obama Dangerous Muslim and has pictures of Michelle Obama.)

THIS is precisely why I can't consider moving back to Texas right now. I know this kind of ridiculous crap is rampant across our United States, but somehow it just hurts a lot more when I see/hear it in Texas. THIS is not my Texas. My Texas was never one of the more progressive states in the Union, but holy s$##. This is just depressing. Where's our LBJ? Where's our Lloyd Bentsen? Where's our Barbara Jordan or Ann Richards? Dead and buried...and seemingly forgotten. It just breaks my heart.

When I read, hear, or see crazy stuff like this in Oregon (usually outside of the Portland/Salem/Eugene area), I can dismiss it as those 'f-ed up Oregonians'. I really don't have an emotional investment in the state of Oregon. I love where I live and I'm happy to be in a place with so many like-minded people, but for the most part, I don't feel attached to Oregon. I don't care if the state is full of redneck rubes, it's not my state.

But Texas....dear Texas....that's another story. I can't be there seeing the poor, the minorities, the old being duped into believing Republican lies. My own father has been seduced by AM talk radio. Thankfully, his deep Democratic roots wouldn't let him vote against his own interests and vote for McCain. But what about next time? When he's 67--with 4 more years of Republican mind-washing? If my own blue-collar, God-fearing, "the man"-hating, yellow-dog-Democrat father can fall victim to their lies, no wonder my home state is where it's at.

PLEASE, let Obama be the hope and the change needed to show everyone, particularly Texans, the truth about Republicans. That they're NOT interested in helping the poor, the old, the minorities or anyone, for that matter, who makes less than $500,000 a year. They cry about taxes, but they're not the ones paying them! The rich always manage to weasel out of paying their taxes. Why else would anyone "bank" in the Cayman Islands and Dubai?? To avoid being taxed!

Deep cleansing breath....vote obama. He's sweet.

2 comments:

Sara Moon said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my dear sweet liberal clarissa. i do so love you.
liberal and proud,
sarita linda

Stephanie said...

Oh, it's bad! People sending me emails, bumber stickers, it's out of control. I can't wait until this is over. Just got back from OK, it's even worse there. But, I know, Texans are letting you down. Give us another chance. Maybe Dallas will change your mind next week. (or not)