Wednesday, October 22, 2008

mexican memories

I halfway composed this blog while sunning myself on the beach a couple of weeks ago, but life being as it is I'm just now getting around to actually writing it up!

My husband and I recently spent a week near Playa del Carmen and I had all sorts of thoughts and observations swirling around. This was the first time I visited the Cancun area with a man...and only the 2nd time I'd been there not "on the prowl". What a weird sensation, I have to say. Here's a brief list of things that are different in Mexico as a 36 year old married woman than as a 24 year old single lady....

--NOW: there's a LOT more of me to love. I think I'm 40 pounds heavier than the first time I visited Cancun at age 20. At this rate I'll be 800 pounds by the time I go at age 50! Slow down, vaca!
--NOW:i stayed at a fancy resort...not the cheap-ass place that was available for 2 nights/3 days for $239 air/hotel included. Then again, it was not exactly about the hotel back then. It was all about having a place to change from swimsuits to skank-wear and sleep off the buzz before starting over again.
--NOW: i was in bed watching tv (YES, TV!! i love it!) by 11:00 every night. Shoot, back in the day, that's when we'd be transitioning from beer to hard alcohol...with tragic consequences.
--NOW: i actually ate good, quality, mexican food. Then, I remember eating at DENNEY'S and KFC!! WTF?!?! Of course, that was after eating guacamole, chips and quesadillas all day.
--NOW: I drove past the clubs in Cancun...during the daytime. Then, we'd close the dang things down! We even rode in the back of a pickup with a bunch of the waiters back to our hotel! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!? (sad note: of our favorite bars, only Daddy O's is still around. La Boom is bust, Fat Tuesday's is gone, Tequila Rock is a fancy shopping center...SAD!!)
--Now: I didn't flirt with a single waiter!! Then, if we weren't kissing them, dancing with them, hugging them or taking their pictures, we were screaming at them about how awesome they were and how much we wanted to live in Cancun.
--Now: I was referred to as "SeƱora". OUCH. Then, I was "chica, linda, amor" etc. Damn my husband (and the aging process)(or ruining my game!


I'll add to this with more mexican memories...for now i gotta go home and wash down my sorrows with tequila and lime.

2 comments:

Sara Moon said...

omg, this was soooooooooooooooooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for the giggles!!!!

Stephanie said...

Ha! I don't remember eating at all when we were there! No more La Boom? ah, man.