Thursday, October 2, 2008

me + cardio classes at gym = uncoordinated mess!

Because of my high school's woefully pathetic cheerleading "squad", I've long believed that cheerleading had nothing to do with preparation for useful, valuable or interesting life skills. Well, let me just say, I was WRONG!

The only "skills" our high school cheerleaders had involved doing that jump in the air with one leg in front, the other cocked back in some hook, or something, and screaming "go cats" every 3 seconds. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure even THEY were trained in the art of the 'step-ball-change', 'grapevine, and the ever-elusive 'air-jack'.

How I wish I'd been enrolled in a dance class where I might have learned these things instead of 5 years of boring old ballet. Ballet was so slow and tedious: pointing toes, bending, and stretching arms. These moves hardly prepare one for step aerobics, kickboxing or zumba. I'm so uncoordinated and awkward looking, it's sad. My air-jack (a jumping jack where you're supposed to leap into the air) gets about 6 inches off the ground. My grapevine has quite literally made me twist MY KNEE (WTF?!?!?). My step-ball change includes about 3 more steps than anyone else in the room. I've been doing cardio classes for about 4-5 years now, off and on, and I still have no idea what i'm doing. I think having even a small amount of dance training prepares your body (and brain) to move quickly.

Zumba is what was previous known as 'latin moves' or salsa. My hips (though of considerable girth) do not move as fluidly as the 45 year old size 0 instructor. i left mid-class last night because (a) didn't want to miss project runway and (b)i was stomping around in place so long i realized i wasn't really working out. just staring at the instructor and trying to coordinate my legs and arms.

so, from now on...all children under the age of 10 should be exposed to at least 2 years of dance: preferrably tap/jazz/hiphop. Ballet is about as dull as a box of rocks and not nearly as fun. 3rd position, my arse!

No comments: