Sunday, August 19, 2007

my big ole grill!



Woohoo!! I finally got a giant new grill! I'm so excited! My parents were nice enough to give me a gift certificate for a new barbeque grill for xmas. Last week I finally went out and bought one! It's burning away on our back slab as I type. :)))
As a good old Texan, I am used to 4-ton grills as tall as me with a stockpile of mesquite logs at the ready. Unfortunately, that's harder to find here in hippy-ville Oregon. I tried to keep it as real as I could though....
For this grill, there was only one choice: charcoal. Gas is easier and makes for prettier grills (stainless with shiny, shiny handles), but honestly....gas?!?!? Fool please. My grill is about chest high, weighs about 140 pounds, is matte black, and angular. Just like my men. Oh! Snap! Burn! Holla! Anyway, it's no beauty, but that's part of the charm. A step up from a metal drum just itchin for a brisket.
Speaking of which, I bought 10 pounds of brisket today. Quite a bit for just the 2 of us. I cut it into 3 hunks in order to experiment with the proper care and tending of my beloved brisket. Here's just how far away I am from Texas: I had to ask the butcher to drag out the brisket from the back. The only brisket they had out in the case was that weird corned beef brisket thing that "Irish" people eat for St. Patrick's. WTF is THAT, anyway?!?!
Seeing how I'm hundreds of miles away from mesquite trees, I have to use that charwood charcoal. It's way better than that frat-boy staple, briquets. I shudder to think of what my mesican ancestors would say if I used those little cubes of chemicals. (I have been known to use them, sadly, when the real stuff is not available)
I also intend to remain pure in my barbeque vocabulary. When one prepares hamburgers and hotdogs on a grill, it is a "cookout", NOT a barbeque! These idiots out here use the term bbq loosely. A "barbeque" is when one prepares brisket, ribs (or if you're from Memphis--pork shoulder) on the grill. Learn it. Live it.
Wish me luck as I begin playing around with my new mega-grill. I'm prepping it for a pork tenderloin tonight!

1 comment:

Sara Moon said...

Post a picture of the dang ol' thing!!!